Gordon Syme is an RYA examiner for both sail and power. Exams are approx 8-12 hours per person and can be organised on demand. The exam will include an assessment of your skippering skills, boat handling, general seamanship, navigation, safety awareness and knowledge of the IRPCS, meteorology and signals.
Documented minimum sea time completed on a seagoing sailing or motor yacht (as appropriate) in the last 10 years:
- 50 days at sea on yachts up to 500gt;
- 5 days as skipper on vessels less than 24m LOA;
- 2500 miles on yachts up to 500gt, half of which must be on vessels less than 24m LOA;
- 5 passages over 60 miles long, which must include 2 overnight passages and 2 as skipper.
Must also have:
- A GMDSS compliant Marine Radio Operator’s Certificate
- A Senior First Aid Certificate
Note: All qualifying sea time and passages must be gained on vessels appropriate to the type of exam i.e. gained in sailing vessels for a sail exam and power vessels for a power exam.